New MRDA Branded Version of the Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby Now Available
The Men’s Roller Derby Association in conjunction with the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association are proud to announce the newest version of “The Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby.” This is the 7 th revision/update since the shared rule set was first developed in 2005 by the WFTDA.
The changes include routine revisions and updates to include publications and clarifications since the 2013 publication of the rule set. They also reflect a handful of more significant changes to the game, which were beta tested by the roller derby community, reviewed and developed by the WFTDA Rules Committee, and with feedback from WFTDA and MRDA member leagues:
- Penalty time is reduced to 30 seconds per penalty, in an effort to reduce the impact of penalties (and in particular, power jams) on scores and game outcomes.
- Direction of Game Play penalties were revised, to bring those penalties in line with the impact spectrum of other contact penalties.
- The standards for Cutting the Track penalties were tweaked and the Skating Out of Bounds penalty section now includes expanded examples to better describe when actions are penalizable.
- New language regarding Multi-Player Blocks formalizes the principle that impeding an opponent with an impenetrable wall is illegal. (This does not change the types of actions that may be penalized, but descriptions of such actions were clarified.)
- Language related to Blocker False Starts has been revised to allow Blockers to yield more simply, without being fully lapped by the pack.
- Star Passes now delineate a single point of transfer of both helmet cover and position at the point when the Jammer releases the Star into the Pivot’s grasp.
Teams may begin playing under the new rules immediately. All sanctioned bouts must be played under the revised rule set starting April 1, 2014.
To view and read and download the new rule set go to http://www.linkyy.com/MRDA_02014_ruleset .
The WFTDA version of the rules can be found at http://www.wftda.com/rules/20140301 .